User Tools

Site Tools


« Dictionary Index « Definitions under B


The pieces of furniture that are placed between the head lines of the pages in a form of twelves, to form the margin at the head of the pages, are called Bolts.

The bolts are cut to the width of the page, so that the gutters go a little way between them, and secure the sides of the pages the whole length: I would recommend to the compositor to cut his bolts square at the ends, and of such a length that they shall go into the measure of his composing stick easily; he will thus prevent the folios or any letters at the extremities of the head lines falling down, as well as the bolts binding against the gutters.

First PagePrevious PageNext PageLast Page