User Tools

Site Tools



This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

f:furniture [2018/03/30 02:06] (current)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +<< [[contents:​index| Dictionary Index]] << [[contents:​f|Definitions under F]]
 +====== Furniture ======
 +The term furniture includes all those pieces of wood that are used in [[b:​branching-out|branching out]] pages, or [[j:​job|jobs]];​ in making [[m:​margin|margin]] for the folding of books; and in [[l:​locking-up|locking up]] forms when they are [[i:​imposing|imposed]]:​ it is generally classed as [[r:​reglet|reglet]],​ furniture, [[s:​side-stick|side sticks,]] [[f:​footstick|foot sticks]], and [[q:​quoins|quoins]]. The height of it is five eighths of an inch, and ought to be the same as that of [[q:​quadrats|quadrats]];​ but the [[l:​letter-founders|letter founders]] and the joiners vary them both. 
 +What is usually called furniture is in lengths of a yard each, and commences with narrow, which is equal to a narrow quotation; broad, which is equal to a broad quotation; [[d:​double-narrow|double narrow]]; broad and narrow; double broad; broad and double narrow; and narrow and double broad.
 +These are used for [[g:​gutter|gutters]],​ heads, and [[b:​backs|backs]];​ to branch out large jobs; to fill up with when a [[c:​chase|chase]] is too large, and to put round a job when imposing, to keep the letter from the iron of the chase. The bottom and two sides are flat, and the top has a groove planed in it lengthways, the arc of a circle; this groove is said to be designed for carrying the water off when the form is washed, but I cannot see the utility of the groove for this purpose; its more obvious use is to lower that part, so that the [[b:​balls|balls]] or[[r:​roller| rollers]] shall not touch it in inking the form, which prevents the [[f:​frisket|frisket]] tearing from its pressure upon the inky furniture and from being continually lifted up.