St Anhony’s gate (Sint Anthoniespoort) was built in 1488 as part of Amsterdam fortification line. As the city expanded in the sixteenth century, the defensive walls were removed and the building was turned into a weigh house (Waag).
On the upper floor were the headquarters of several guilds, among which that of the surgeons, for whom Rembrandt painted his famous Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp. Public executions also used to take place in front of the building.
The caption reads in the original French:
Une vue d’Amsterdam. — Ancienne porte Saint-Antoine.