View of the statue of the Appennine Colossus, a 35 ft (10.7 m) sculpture by sixteenth-century Flemish artist Giambologna. It used to sit in the park of the Villa di Pratolino, property of Francesco de’ Medici. After the quasi-complete demolition of the villa in 1820, the remains were incorporated to the Villa Demidoff where the statue can still be seen, near Florence.
Beside its imposing stature, the colossus is remarkable for its carved interior and the sophisticated water network running inside its body, which includes two fountains and a water organ.
The caption reads in the original French:
Colosse de l’Apenin [sic] à Pratolino.