Originating from the treasure-house of Gloucester Abbey, this candlestick was given to the cathedral of Le Mans between 1109 and 1112, approximately. The decoration consists of human and animal figures mixed with foliated design. Viollet-le-Duc mentions it as the most beautiful of the remaining church candlesticks of that era.
The caption reads in the original French:
Chandelier en bronze doré de la cathédrale du Mans.