Christian Daniel Rauch (1777 – 1857) was a German sculptor, born in Bad Arolsen, a small town in northern Hesse. After adverse beginnings in the hands of second rate instructors, because his parents couldn’t afford better for him, Rauch moved to Berlin, where he was able to study at the Academy of Art. He was later sent to complete his education in Rome, where he met Bertel Thorvaldsen, whose work influenced him.
In 1811 he was commissioned for a monument for Queen Louisa of Prussia, which earned him great fame and reputation, and many subsequent commissions. He ended his life and his career as heir to the classical tradition, honored in art academies throughout Europe.
The caption reads in the original French:
Rauch, célèbre sculpteur prussien.