This sculpture of Johannes Gutenberg was made by David D’Angers in 1839 and was unveiled June 24, 1840. It can be seen in Strasbourg, where Gutenberg lived between 1434 and 1444, after being exiled from Mainz. At this time, he had already begun to work on his printing press, although trying to keep his projects secret as much as was possible. The inscription on the page he’s holding reads: Et la lumière fut (And light was made).
David d’Angers, winner of the Prix de Rome 1811, is primarily known for his representations of famous people in history; this statue is one of his more important works.
The caption reads in the original French:
Statue en bronze de Gutenberg, par David d’Angers, inaugurée à Strasbourg, le 24 Juin 1840.