Jedburgh is a town on the Jed Water in the Scottish Borders ten miles from England.
The former Jedburgh Augustinian priory, established around 1138, was made an abbey some time around 1154. Due to its location, so close to the English border, it wasn’t spared the violence that begun with the wars of independence, in the fourteenth century, and went on sporadically throughout the 15th and 16th centuries. the Protestant Reformation of 1560 finally put an end to the monastic vocation of the Abbey. It is now a well-preserved ruin which still dominates the town.