Located on Great Market Square, the Leuven town hall is a three-story building, constructed between 1439 and 1469, with architect Mathieu de Layens taking charge of the project in 1448. He was responsible for the four corner turrets, two ridge turrets, and the building’s flamboyant Gothic character.
The 236 statues decorating the niches were added in the second half of the 19th century and represent an assembly of artists and scholars, patron saints, and local notables. The building suffered various degrees of damage during the two world wars and the latest restoration work was completed in 1983.
The caption reads in the original French:
Maison de ville à Louvain.