View of Little Moreton Hall with bridge and moat. Moreton Hall is a half-timbered mansion built by successive generations of owners between the early sixteenth century and the first decade of the seventeenth century, which probably accounts for the irregular aspect of the edifice. In the mid-1840s (a previous edition of this book was published in 1845), the author could give us the following description:
The house is approached from the south over a stone arch of antique form, and bearing the Moreton arms on either side. The square portal, with a sun-dial over it, is adorned with some bold carvings of foliage in oak on the top and sides.