View of Place House with the River Fowey in the distance. It is not known exactly when Place House was built, but it is known that in the mid-fifteenth century the Treffry family was the owner of a mansion overlooking the town.
In a passage of The Itinerary of John Leland in or about the Years 1535-1543 the famous antiquary tells us that about 1457, the wife of Thomas Treffry, with her servants, repelled French assailants out of the house in her husband’s absence. The house was fortified shortly after this date.
Place House today shows the structure of the sixteenth-century building modified by the restoration works that took place in 1817-45.