- Wood engraving
- Xylographic Institute of Kaspar Braun & von Dessauer
- Portrait (taller)
- The Library of Congress, the Internet Archive
- Artist is Julius Schnorr von Carolsfeld or Eugen Napoleon Neureuther
- Der Nibelungen Noth
- Pfizer, Gustav (revision of the text)
- Stuttgart, Tübingen: J. G. Cotta’scher Verlag, 1843
- Open Library:
- View record
Two mermaids can be seen floating along a rocky shore, one of them addressing Hagen, who stands on a slope and holds onto a branch to keep his balance.
The caption reads in the original German:
Ich will dich warnen, Hagen,
Kommst du zu den Heunen,
So bist du arg sehr betrogen.
The caption in English was taken from Daniel Bussier Shumway’s translation of The Nibelungenlied published in Boston & New York by the Houghton Mifflin Company, 1909.
Keywords: 1840s, 19th century, black & white, mermaid, mythology, seafront, warrior