Bergen is an important city and a port in southwestern Norway. It was once part of the Hanseatic League and at the time of this picture, the ladies still went for walks on the “German Wharf” (Tyskebryggen), where the warehouses of Lübeck merchants used to be, and which has since been renamed. The fire of 1825, which destroyed a third of the city, was still in the minds, and the government had just built a shipyard for the navy.
The caption reads in the original French:
Vue de Berghen, en Norvège.