View of the ruins of Ross Castle on the shore of Lough Leane, with a rowboat in the foreground.
Killarney is a town in the southern part of County Kerry, Ireland, on the northeastern shore of Lough Leane.
Ross Castle was built at the end of the fifteenth century and is known for having been one of the last to surrender to Oliver Cromwell’s forces, in the Wars of the Three Kingdoms in Ireland. It was used as a military barracks from the mid-eighteenth century until 1825. After the garrison left, the roof was dismantled and the castle was left to fall in ruins by its successive owners. Its restoration began in 1979 when it became the property of the Republic of Ireland.