Formerly called Liberty Hall, the university of Lexington changed its name to Washington College in 1813 as a reminder of its first endowment received from George Washington in 1796. The building burned down in 1803 and took its current architectural aspect in the 1820s.
In 1865, General Robert E. Lee was appointed president of the college, and after his death in 1870, the trustees changed the name again to that of Washington and Lee University.
The caption reads in the original French:
Université Washington-et-Lee, à Lexington (Virginie).