View of Gripsholm Castle as seen from lake Mälaren. Gripsholm Castle, located some 37 miles (60 km) from Stockholm, was used as a residence by the Swedish Royal Family. Built in the first half of the sixteenth century, it was renovated in the late eighteenth century, on which occasion a theater was added on the third floor of the largest of the circular towers. At the time this picture was created (ca. 1840), the castle had already been converted into a portrait gallery.
The caption reads in the original French:
Château de Gripsholm, vue prise du lac Mélar. Suède.