Kom Ombo Temple

All Resolutions

768 px - 864 px - 1200 px - 1600 px - Raw Scan

View of the the temple of Kom Ombo, Upper Egypt, as it stood in 1838 before reconstruction
Kom-Ombo.
(Plate 13.)

Artist

Name:
Dates:
-
Country:

Illustration

Subject:
Technique:
Lithographer:
Format:
Source:
The New York Public Library
Observations:
Dated Nov. 21st. 1838

Book

Title:
Author(s):
Publisher:
: ,

Description

View of the temple of Kom Ombo as it stood, half-buried in the sand, before reconstruction. Built during the Ptolemaic dynasty, Kom Ombo Temple is located 25 miles (40 km) north of Aswan and was dedicated in equal parts to the crocodile god Sobek and to Horus the Elder. It is described as follows by the authors:

These ruins are finely situated on a promontory on the eastern side of the river, in a bay formed by the head of the Nile to the westward. In descending the river the temple thus seen on the high bank above it holds a striking position. There are remains of other temples below, on the verge of the Nile, but the stream which sweeps round the bend has already carried off, even within our own time, some of these interesting monuments, and will eventually remove them all by undermining the banks. Of the great temple, much is concealed by vast sand-drifts from the deserts; but enormous masses of its ruins rise above the arid and herbless surface which surrounds them, giving to the scene a character of dreary desolation in keeping with the decay of this once magnificent structure.

Share this:Share on Twitter Share on Pinterest Share on Facebook